“Chess is not merely idle amusement. Several very valuable qualities of the mind, useful in the course of human life, are to be acquired or strengthened by it, so as to become habits, ready on all occasions.”
Welcome to my site! My name is Jonathan Maxwell. I offer highest quality instruction in the most proven, effective educational tool available: chess.
Quite simply, chess teaches the student how to think. It is an instrument that summons all the facets of the student’s mind– logic, calculation, memory, abstraction, instinct, creativity, psychology, courage, and then challenges the student to derive best solutions to challenges from an arena of uncompromising reality. Such training provides the student with a highest caliber intellectual framework– both efficient and robust, from which he or she may solve most all of life’s challenges, whether it be organizing a list of errands, or maintaining a career.
– United States Chess Federation Certified Expert
– United States Chess Federation Candidate Master
– United States Chess Federation Tournament Director
– Author of nationally distributed and critically acclaimed “Blitz Theory”
– Six years teaching within the New York City school system
– Georgetown University
What I find most convincing is the joy and success I’ve brought to my students, and satisfaction to their parents.